Saturday 24 July 2010

Packages


People comes in packages. And we have to accept them as they are or totally not deal with them about anything.


We meet people everyday. We deal with people everyday. Whether it’s friends, relatives, colleagues, ex-colleagues, plain acquaintances.. we need to go through ‘dealing’ with them to achieve the purpose of our daily lives.


Let’s get back to meeting people. I mean, new acquaintances. This is where everything starts.


Suppose we meet each other for the first time. I will introduce myself to you and you will introduce yourself to me. Commonly, we’ll exchange a few basic information about each other that’s mainly about the job that we do, where we’re from, where we stay and our status in life in general. I’m not talking about business here. This is meeting a new person because he or she might be introduced to you by a friend or by anyone you know and it was done for a purpose which is most of the time, a personal one. Or it could also be that you’ve just met accidentally, however the meeting happened.


When the introduction is done and the connection is established, more or less, knowing the other person would not end there. It’s either one of you is interested or both of you are (and someone needs to cross fingers here). At the onset, you ask general questions and then you gradually move in to get the ‘more’ personal details about the other person. Then you would learn the things that he/she do, the things that he/she likes, the things that makes him/her happy and how he/she goes about his/her life.


You would soon find out that there are things about this person that you like and there are also things in him/her that you don’t like.


Here is where the ‘packages’ comes in. It’s called that way because you have to accept the ‘package’ as a whole. You cannot tear the part that you don’t like about the person and throw it away. It’s as simple as the ‘Take it or Leave it’ policy.


I’ll be more specific. But I will write from my own type of package. I have to use some checklist on this part.When I would be asked about what I like in a friend, I would always reply enumeratively with:


1. Simple

2. Not a disco-addict

3. A non-smoker

4. Not loud

5. Conservative

6. Loves sports

7. No tattoos

8. Prim and proper

9. Decent

10. No body piercings (except the ears for ladies)

Okay, that’s my list. And then I met someone. I’ll give it a little thrill here. So, let’s say I met a guy. We had our introductions and after the first conversation that we had, I knew that I would definitely meet him and talk to him again. Why so? You might ask. Because I enjoyed talking to him and he seemed interesting. It could be on a personal note or he could be a valuable business contact. Who knows? But let’s stick on the ‘personal’ note.

Let’s say, he invited me again sometime to meet and have dinner. And he becomes ‘more’ interesting in my eyes. If you know what I mean. Our conversations now runs from family to sports to everything. I learned that he’s not the type who enjoys discos and he’s a sport enthusiast – like, name it and he can play the game. He dresses well, neatly groomed and proper. Check numbers 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8.


He looks simple and decent. Check numbers 1 and 9.


And then I popped out one very important question.


“Do you have any tattoo?”, that’s with a wink and a grin.


And he said ‘No.’ Relief. Now, back on the list. Check mark on number 7.


“How about piercings?”, I am crossing my fingers now.


He shook his head. Check number 10.


My type of package, I must say, right? He’s got it all. And then right after dinner, he took a stick of cigarette from his pocket and puff! How could I miss that??? Number 3 on my list is still unchecked!


He smokes and confessed that he can empty a box in a day. Now, what?

That’s what a package is all about. He is a nice guy. Of course, I would not discard him just because he smokes.


We should always remember that people comes in packages. Love them or leave them, but never deal with anyone halfway.

Photo Credit: polyvore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write something about this post..